Specialization Training or Employment

Information on applying for specialist training or a position as a doctor at the University Hospital

Once medical studies have been completed with the third state examination, university medical training in Germany is over.
Further specialization is called specialist training in Germany and takes place directly in the clinics.
Specialist training can only be completed with very good knowledge of the German language.

If you would like to come to our University Hospital for said training or to work as a doctor, you will need:

  1. A permit to temporarily practice medicine (Erlaubnis zur vorübergehenden Ausübung des ärztlichen Berufes) or the "Approbation", which you must apply for at the Landesverwaltungsamt (State Administrative Office)
  2. work permit from the Employment Agency
  3. You must apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office.

Permission to temporarily practice medicine is only granted under special legal conditions.
Generally speaking, you have better chances of obtaining this permit if you are a citizen of an EU member state or if you are married to a German national.

For EU nationals, the procedure is less onerous.
In any case, it is a lengthy procedure that can take several months.

There are very few paid positions available for this training.
Therefore, the probability that we can offer you a paid training position is very low.
Excellent academic performance and proven scientific interest, as well as very good German language skills are prerequisites for your application.


1. Applying to the clinic

If you would like to apply for specialist training in one of our clinics, please contact the clinic management of the corresponding department directly.

Overview of our departments

Research profile of the Medical Faculty (German only!)

Job offers at the Medical Faculty / University Hospital (German only!)

Your application should include the following documents:

  1. Your contact detais (name, address, e-mail address)
  2. Letter of motivation
    - Why do you choose this field of study?
    - What kind of experience do you have in the respective field? etc. 
  3. Curriculum vitae with all important data about your professional education
  4. Letter of recommendation (German or English)
  5. Proof of German or English language skills
  6. Copy of your passport 

If you receive a positive response, i.e., a promise of employment from the hospital management, you must contact the Landesverwaltungsamt (State Administration Office) to apply for a Berufsausübungserlaubnis (professional practice permit).


2. Applying for a permit to temporarily practice medicine in Germany:

1. You send an informal application for permission to temporarily practice medicine with the following documents to the Landesverwaltungsamt:

  1. informal application indicating how the training will be financed
  2. Curriculum vitae
  3. Confirmation of employment from the clinic
  4. Certified copies of your university degree and overviews of subjects and grades (transcript of record)
  5. Certified translation into German if these documents are not in English.
  6. Certified copy of proof of German language skills.
    You should be able to prove that you have at least passed an examination at the B2 level (not older than 5 years).
    (Please note: While your application is being processed by the Landesverwaltungsamt / Landesprüfungsamt,  a German test must also be taken at the Landesärztekammer (State Medical Association).
    Information and an application form for this can be found here:   http://www.aeksa.de/www/website/PublicNavigation/arzt/mitgliedschaft/sprachtest/)

You have to send the above mentioned documents to:

Referat 607/Landesprüfungsamt
Ernst-Kamieth-Str. 2
D-06112 Halle/Saale
Tel.: +49- (0)345-514-0
Fax: +49- (0)345-514-1720

Websites (further information and sample documents):



Your contact persons at the Landesverwaltungsamt:

Frau Bruchmann: +49- (0)345-514-1709
Frau Heilemann: +49- (0)345-514-1710

Note: You must communicate in German with the staff of the Landesverwaltungsamt. 
If you are unable to do so, your application for a professional license has no chance of success.

2. You will receive a list of further documents from the Landesverwaltungsamt that are necessary for the review of your application. After a thorough review, the Landesverwaltungsamt will give you a positive or negative decision on your application. 

There is a fact sheet on how to apply for a professional license for applicants who did not obtain their degree in Germany.

3. Applying for a work permit

Should you be offered a paid position at the University Hospital for your specialist training, you must submit an application for a work permit to the Employment Agency.
In order for you to receive this work permit, a confirmation of employment with further documents must be sent to the Employment Agency by the Human Resources Department of the University Hospital.

This is the address of Magdeburg's Employment Agency:

Agentur für Arbeit
Hohepfortestraße 37
39104 Magdeburg
Telephone: 0391-257-0
Fax: 0391-257-1730



Further information on the practice of medicine can be obtained from the Bundesärztekammer (German Medical Association):

  • Bundesärztekammer:


  • Bundesärztekammer - international affairs:


Last Modification: 31.05.2022 - Contact Person:

Sie können eine Nachricht versenden an: Webmaster